Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Week 17

June 10, 2013

This week was good!! not much happened at all. It was a pretty normal and basic week. We did whole lot door knocking to find new investigators which went well. We found about 3 or 4 people who are really good! We have appointments this week with them. We didn't get to meet with our strong investigators because every time we went they couldn't meet! it sucked but it happens. But Luis was at church with his family again yesterday and we are meeting with them tonight! so we are excited for that! I can sense my companion is starting to give up on this area. Its kind of frustrating. Hes doing it because he knows hes leaving to another area next week when we have transfers. But other than that i had a pretty normal,and calm week!! how is everyone??

Dad:
Hey, it's Dad - you still there?
So transfers are next week? Are you sure your companion is leaving?  Regardless, you need to keep working hard. I know you know that but don't let him give up on it just because he is leaving.

Kyler:
hey dad! im here! 
yeah transfers are this Sunday. and ill end my training so ill officially be a normal missionary! yeah i know we need to keep working.  I'm going to keep working and if he doesn't want to help then thats his choice!

Dad:
Everybody is good here. Carston and Manning are enjoying their summer. Carston is now done with baseball. They ended up making it to the GGBL championship series against Norcross. They lost the first two games so finished 2nd. Not to bad. Kayden's team started this past week as well. I sent you a letter and explained all the details. I really think they will have a good season. Of course, Berkley is doing her gymnastics thing. It seems like she is always at the gym. Me and Mom are keeping busy. We are trying to straighten up the house and get some things done before school starts again.

Kyler:
awesome!! yeah mom told me about carstons team last week! that was a surprise! so they were decent huh? yeah i cant wait to hear about kaydens team. gosh i miss baseball so much. i didn't think i would but i really do. i miss it all, travel ball during the summer, school ball, going to east cobb every weekend. we have a broken broomstick that i swing everyday just so i don't forget my stance and everything haha

Dad:
Oh the joys of being a missionary! It will test your patience for sure! Just try loving your companion into action! Tell him how much he's helped you and encouraged you and then tell him how much you need his help to get the work done. Try not to let him see your anger or disappointment towards him but rather suggest that your success so far as a missionary has a lot to do with him being your trainer. Let him know though that you are wanting to work hard and you need his help to do so.

Kyler:
Alrighty!! thanks dad! I'm going to do exactly that!! 

Dad:
Maybe a change in companions will be a good thing. You never know. Sometimes you must be careful what you wish for though. I remember wishing on my mission for a new companion, only to get one and then wishing I had my old one back - lol. It is what it is and unless you both completely understand on a daily basis what it is your there for, it can be difficult. You must learn to put your differences aside and focus on what is bringing you together.

Kyler:
yeah i agree! yeah a change will be good. 12 weeks is a long time to be forced to be with someone. It will all workout! I know it! 

Dad:
12 weeks is a long time but it prepares you for other life long relationships, like marriage. To think that you are always going to get along with somebody is pretty unrealistic. However, it's how you deal with it that will dictate how long you can make that relationship last. Take me and Mom for instant. Whenever I come up with a good idea, I just let her think that it was hers all along. That keeps Mom happy - :o). Just kidding - I know she's on now. I just wanted to say a funny!! Plus everybody really knows that all good ideas that come from the Berretts is from Mom.

Kyler:
haha yeah! actually everyone here says that!! that being with a companion really prepares you for marriage! haha but yeah all the Berrett ideas are from mom!! hahahaha 

Dad:
Wow - hard to believe it's been 4 months! Time is flying by. I spoke to Scottie Higgins at church yesterday. He leaves next Monday for the MTC. He is having an open house next Saturday. I'm sure we will try to get over there. You know Traci will have some good food anyway - lol!! He seems ready to go. I think Traci is having a hard time (like most moms do).

Kyler:
yeah 4 months seemed like nothing!! dang Scottie is leaving soon!! that's crazy!! tell him good luck if you get the chance! he'll be a great missionary!

Dad:
You know, it's funny how listening to every body's prayers take on a whole new meaning for me and mom when they pray for all the missionaries. When you think about all the prayers that are offered up in your behalf, it is truly amazing. The missionary work is continuing to grow by leaps and bounds. You can choose to either dive in and be an essential part of it or you can (like some missionaries do) choose to sit on the sidelines and hope your mission away. I know I keep telling you this but don't have any regrets. I promise you that the end of your mission will come a lot sooner than you think. When that day comes, you want your last prayer to your Heavenly Father before leaving Bolivia to be, "God, I gave it my all. I did everything I possibly could to spread the good news. I hope you are proud of me!!"

Kyler:
Yeah i agree completely. thanks so much! Its hard to remember why I'm here sometimes but when i do i feel so comforted about everything.

Dad:
Are you starting to understand conversations more? I know when you are talking Church stuff it's a little easier. However, are you feeling more comfortable just talking casual conversations with people?

Kyler:
Yeah church stuff is getting really easy. but conversations normal i have to really pay attention and focus. that's what i want to start working on. talking about normal things.

Mom:
Hi babe!  How are you?

Kyler:
Hi!! :) I'm good!! how are you!!?? 

Mom:
We are doing good!  I read through your and dads email.  It sounds like a change will do you good.  I can see that it would be easy to let up on the work when you know you are leaving.  Just exercise patience and all will work out.  How is your Spanish coming along?

Kyler:
yeah it will work out!! Its good! that's another thing that's frustrating with him. he doesn't really help me a whole lot with Spanish. But its coming along! I really need to work on remembering words now. before I've been working on proper grammar and all that good stuff. have you sent my card??

Mom:
I will mail it today.  And it actually was a good thing that I haven't mailed it before now.  The bank called dad on Saturday and said that we have to make a purchase here with it before they can put a freeze on it.  So if I would have sent it before now, it would have not worked anyway.  So good thing I procrastinated! :)

Kyler:
haha yeah good thing!! okay tha'st great!! I'm good money wise! i was just wondering. how are things?? normal??

Mom:
We are all normal!  (if you can call us normal) :)  Kayden was set apart as the first assistant to the bishop yesterday!  He also was asked to be on the panel for the fireside last night.  They talked about social media and he and Tucker, Brianna, and Lauren C., were the panel and the kids asked questions and Brother Cheek was the main speaker.  I think it was good for Kayden.  You know, he never wants to do anything like that, but then always enjoys it and has a good time.  (he reminds me of myself so much)

Maybe your new companion will really be able to help with your Spanish.  Everyone has a something different that they can bring to the table. And maybe he will bring Spanish help and you will be the one to push the work!  Any way, it always works out.  Just don't get too discouraged that you feel like giving up!

Kyler:
that's awesome!! I'm glad he got that call to be the first assistant! that's good for him! yeah i agree! it will workout! so you started my BYU stuff??

Mom:
I've just got your id and now i have to start the process!  I will work on it this week.  It looks like we have rain in the forecast which will keep me inside and I can get on the computer. I will babe!  Promise!  I will get as far as I can and then have Lexi come over.  I know, I will take the laptop to grandmas each week and that will make us work on it .

Kyler:
haha okay thanks!! i just really want to do it while everyone is on a mission haha thanks :) 

Dad:
Hey Bud - I've got to go. I love you and we pray for you always! Know that you are never alone. 2 Nephi 31:20. Endure to the end!!!! I sent you a letter last night with some updates on baseball and other stuff. Keep your head up and always be thinking ahead. Don't get distracted! Be proactive! Be a leader! Always keep in mind that just because you are the junior companion doesn't mean that you can't lead. It's just in how you do it. Love ya bud!! Until next week!!!!

Kyler:
Thanks dad!! that means a whole lot. ill remember that! ill talk to you next week! i love you too! 

Mom:
I just want you to know how much i love you!  You have given up so much to serve the Lord and I couldn't be more proud of you!  I pray for you (and your companion) each and every day.  I know at times you will struggle and wonder why you are doing this.  But remember, you are doing this because the Lord has asked you to and that He knows that you can!  He is always right there by your side.  When you are feeling down, just know is right there with you.  Pray to Him, ask for His guidance.  Let Him be your companion!  He will never not want to work.  He is always there supporting and encouraging you!

Kyler:
 thanks so much mom. Knowing that everyday helps me so much. i have so much comfort knowing that you guys are thinking and praying about me. it helps so much. i know why I'm here. for that i will stay and continue through!! I love you so much.

Mom:
I love you too!  I can't believe that you have been gone for four months!  I know it doesn't feel like it, but it really is going pretty fast. (in hindsight) :)  You sound like you are doing really well.  I can tell that you are feeling okay.  I know that you get homesick every once and a while, and that's okay.  That is normal!  In the words of Dori, just keep swimming!

Kyler:
hahaaha thanks mom! okay i have to go! i love you so much! tell everyone i love them and miss them!! ill talk to you next week!!!! :) i love you :)

Mom:
We all love you and miss you too!  We will continue to pray for your well being and for your companion!  Remember who you are and know that He is right by your side!  I LOVE YOU!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment