Thursday, February 27, 2014

Week 54

February 24, 2014
 
Hey Everyone!!
 
So this week was awwwwesome!!!!! Ive got some good stories! Last Pday was great! I didn't really get talk to anyone but I hope everyone is well this week. Pday was good! We had a BBQ with the zone, then after my comp and I went to play basketball with some other Elders. He loves to play basketball, even though it's not his strength haha He asks me every week if we can go play and of course I'm willing to play some ball haha. After that we went to a FHE with family in the ward. We taught a simple lesson then played a fun game!
 
Tuesday was a basic day other than I was a little sick again. You would think I would get over that but I guess not! Last Sunday we ate cow heart for dinner (its not that bad actually)  so I think that got to me. haha But by mid day I was fine and working!! So that's what is important!
 
So Wednesday was CrAzY!!!!! So in my area there is a HUGE mountain. My 3 transfers here we've always wanted to go up to the top because there is a little village up there! It's super far though and we've never had time to go. But since this was my companions last week here, we decided to pick a day to go! So we went and we decided that first we would go to the top and take a few pictures. As we were taking pictures we see a group of people a little further down the mountain starting to form a mob and and shoot fireworks. We got a little nervous and decided to go back down. The mob finally caught up with us and asked me for my camera! They had all types of weapons from knives and sling shots and bow and arrows! They were ready to fight!! So we put our arms up in the air and acted innocent! haha Then one guy yells...."Whoa!! guys its okay! it's just the brothers."  We were so confused and scared haha then they told us it was prohibited to go to the top of the mountain and take pictures because we were in a war zone! Apparently that village is in a war with a village on the other side of the mountain!! They thought we were spies. (yes, I know this all sounds crazy and fake but I swear it was true!) haha The people of Bolivia have their own way to do things. But here's the cool part. So the mob of about 100 people then sat down and asked if we could share a message with them! So we did! I felt like I was talking in sacrament meeting. We taught them about Jesus Christ and his Atonement. They loved it and invited us back! We ended with a prayer! I told them I have their back if they need to fight! hahaha Hopefully I wont be going to war this next transfer!
 
Thursday was a normal day. The only thing different that made it exciting was that it rained all day long. I love working in the rain. It's fun and the best way to get into houses. hehe
 
Friday was great! Worked and had a baptism interview with Brayan (the 12 year old). He passed and we held his baptism on Saturday! It was a beautiful service! Everything went perfectly and even the bishop told us it was one of the best baptisms he has had in his ward. Everything was just right. I have some pictures so I'll show y'all! His dad (who was baptized about 5 months ago) got to baptize him. That's exactly what we wanted!
 
Yesterday was great! We got our changes from president! My companion is going to Potosi and I'm going to stay here! My comps name is Elder Ortiz. I don't know him but I'm looking forward to it!  I'm great here!! I love you all and I cant wait to hear from ya!
 
Love Elder Berrett
 
Dad:
Hey bud, it's Dad, are you still there?
 
Kyler:
hey! im here!!
 
Dad:
Awesome! Pretty wild story about the MOB. I'm glad it turned out okay. We had a great day yesterday at Mannings baptism. There were a lot of people there to support him, Kiki and Ella. It was great to see Kayden perform the baptism. He did a great job. Mom (yes, I am blaming Mom) forgot to pack an extra shirt for Manning, so after he was baptized, we just dried it the best we could and put it back on. He was a little cold but it dried pretty quick. It was a little hectic, but it all worked out.
 
Kyler:
haha That's actually funny!! you'd be surprised at how often that happens to missionaries!!
 
Dad:
Your MOB story reminds me of where I am in the Book of Mormon. I've been reading about the Gadianton robbers and how they took as many as would follow them and hid in the hills and the trees. They wanted to overthrow the chief judges and rule themselves. Eventually, they gained enough strength to do so. They were too prideful to humble themselves to the truthfulness of the gospel. They had their secret works and really sought to murder anybody who believed the gospel.
There are so many people like that today, who even though don't seek to murder, they still have a hard time humbling themselves and recognizing truth and fight against it.
 
Mom:
Are you still there?
 
Kyler:
hey! I'm here!
 
Mom:
I just read your email! How scary to read! I am so glad that you were okay!
Bradley had a similar experience in Brazil this past week. I copied it from his email...
"This week has been crazy! We went to teach a lesson at the very top of a hill where this family lived and at the bottom of the hill the street was blocked off with old cars and trash so no cars could go in...there was an 18 year old boy sitting at the bottom of the hill with a walkie talkie and he asked us what we were here for and we told him we were missionaries. He radioed to the guys up top and they let us in...as we were walking up we passed several men and boys sitting there with pistols and bags of drugs and money..they were all nice to us because we were men of God haha we got to the top and taught and the family committed to baptism!"
Very similar, huh! How is the new companion?
 
Kyler:
haha!!! wow!! that's crazy!!! but cool!!!!
 
Mom:
How is everything else going? Are you chatting with Lexi?  Do you have pictures? Did you get the pictures from Manning's baptism?
 
Kyler:
yes I'm chatting with her!! Every things great!! yes I do!! and yes I did! haha They look great!! that's awesome!!!
 
Mom:
How is the new companion? Where is he from?
 
Kyler: 
I don't know him yet! I'll get him tomorrow!
 
Mom:
I am so proud of you and YAY to another baptism!  We have been so very blessed! We are constantly seeing good in our lives and I know that it is from your willingness and hard work as a missionary. You will gain so much (and already have) that will benefit you throughout your entire life! 
 
So obviously they didn't end up taking your camera, once they found out you were "the brothers"? And you were able to sit down with them and teach them. What an awesome experience!
 
Kyler:
thanks!! that makes me happy! well I have to go now. I love you all so much. i cant wait to hear about this week! i love you all!! bye!!
 
yeah they gave it back! haha yeah it was awesome!!
 
Mom:
I love you so very much! Hugs and kisses until next week!
Love - Mom
xoxo
 
On top of the mountain!

Brayan's baptism

No comments:

Post a Comment