Thursday, December 5, 2013

Week 37

October 28, 2013

Elder Berrett,
 
This is Dad - I hope you are feeling better and that you are enjoying your new area and companion. Please tell us all about your new area and how things are going. We love to hear all about it. Details, details, details. :)
 
We have some very sad news to tell you. We couldn't decide whether to tell you now or wait until you get home. We thought it might be best to tell you now, so you can deal with it in your own way and then come home already knowing and prepared. Roxy passed away last Tuesday, October 22nd. We've known for a long time that she was looking old and having problems. Anyway, last Monday night, Mom went downstairs to let her in and she was just lying on the cement patio and had a very hard time getting up. When she did, she just stood there by mom and didn't move. I had to go down and carry her upstairs. When we got her upstairs, she was very disoriented and all she wanted to do was lay down. After a family prayer, I laid with her the entire night. We thought she would not make it through the night. I picked her up a couple of times and took her outside. Anytime she was on her feet, she would stumble and almost fall. She would wander off like she didn't know where she was. I had to go get her and carry her back into the house. By morning time, you could tell she was really suffering. I called the vet and made arrangements. We all cried like babies. It was one of the more difficult things I've done in quite a while. We brought her home and Kayden and I buried her in the backyard. It was very difficult for all of us. I know it will be for you too when you are reading about this. She was 10 years old. Boxers average life span is 8-9 years. When we read your email last week and you mentioned that one of the things you wanted to do was pet Roxy, we thought for sure that would be one thing we would see you do for sure. It was later that night when things went bad. She literally turned for the worst in one night. The vet doctor told us after looking at Roxy that we were doing the right thing.
 
I know you are probably tearing up right now, but I gave one last kiss to Roxy from you. As you know, she is in a much better place and not hurting anymore. She was truly part of our family!
 
Kyler:
Hey everyone!
 
Well I'm pretty sad after reading the news about Roxy. I was really looking forward to seeing her again this week. I actually had that on my list of things to do while I'm home. I was really excited to see her. Anyways, I don't want to waste a lot of time writing a long email when I'm going to see you guys in two days. Man that is so weird. There are some things I want to talk about so if y'all can chat that would be great!! Thanks!! I'll be waiting!
 
Dad:
Sorry for the bad news. It is okay! She was ready to go, I promise. What's going on?
 
Kyler:
It's okay. I'm glad she is out of her misery.
 
So I need to know if I have money on my card? And I want to know my flight information. The secretaries haven't called me yet. I'll call them today. Do y'all have it??
 
Mom:
Do you know if you are traveling with other missionaries or do you think you will be traveling solo? 
I'll put some more money on your card for traveling. I'll give you another $50 by Wednesday.
 
Kyler:
Thanks!
I'm pretty sure ill be solo! I don't see why I'd have someone with me!
 
Dad:
I just forwarded to you your flight itinerary. Let me know when you get it. Are you in your new area yet? How is that going?
 
Kyler:
I just got the information! Thanks! that's a long day right there.....but I can handle it! haha the area is great! I'm loving it! It's a lot different but I'm going to have a lot more success! I'm more out in the fields and boonies but love it!! My clothes are a whole lot dirtier after the day is over! haha
 
Dad:
Yes, you are going to have a long day of travel. I'm glad you are enjoying your new area. Work hard these last few days before you leave. Will your companion just stay with the other two elders in your apartment. You'll have to send us pictures of your new place. How is your new place compared to your last one?
 
Kyler:
It's nice! I'll bring pictures home! Yeah we are working super hard! Don't worry! We found 6 people this week and they all came to church!! I should be having some baptisms when I get back! I can't wait!! The house is a lot smaller but I really like it!
 
Dad:
I've got to get back to work! I love you and can't wait to see you. I will be picking you up at 6:00 in the morning on Thursday. I'm taking Thursday and Friday off. The district attorney's office wants to meet with you on Thursday when you get in. I'm thinking Friday maybe we can do a little golf. :)
 
Kyler:
Yeah that sounds good to me!! I love you!! See you Thursday!!! :)
 
Mom:
Are you still there, Kyler?
 
Kyler:
Yeah!! but I have to go soon!! Is there a Buford football game Friday!?
 
Mom:
There is a game against East Hall.  I worry about you getting too comfy and having too much fun and not wanting to go back.
 
I am so happy about your new companion and the new area.
 
Kyler:
Of course I want to go!! Trust me I'll be fine!! haha I'm gonna come back!! I couldn't not when I'm trying to set an example for Kayden and everyone! Plus I'm leaving my stuff here so I have a reason to come back!
 
Alrighty I have to go!! I love you!! I can't wait to see you guys!!
 
Mom:
I love you with all my heart! I am so happy to be able to see you, but wish it was under different circumstances! But, I can't wait to put my arms around you and look at you constantly for a week!!
Bring home anything that you want to get rid of. Bring home all your camera stuff so we can download your pictures, etc. Do you need any new batteries for things?  Take inventory of what you might need. Make a list of places you want to eat. Can't wait to see you!!
Love you bunches and bunches!!

No comments:

Post a Comment