Thursday, December 5, 2013

Week 42

December 2, 2013
 
Hey everyone!!
 
Wow! Where does the time go! This week flew by!! Well, after 9 very long months of waiting it finally happened! I had a baptism! It feels good to get that off my chest. We have some lined up this month so hopefully I'll have some more coming asap. The man we baptised is Juan Carlos Ramos. He's 45 years old. We found him my first week in this area before I came home. It was amazing how fast he progressed in just 6 weeks. We taught him Wednesday night and told him he was ready to be baptized in 3 days and he accepted. As bad as I wanted to be the one to baptize him we figured it would be better to have a member who was actually his good friend do it, so that's what we did! He was a reference from his family who are members so we went to their house yesterday to celebrate. We then invited him and his wife (who is a less active member) to prepare to enter the temple a year from now, they accepted! We will do all we can to help them achieve that. It's amazing how the spirit works with those people who are prepared by God. Every lesson with him was so much easier than all the others. My Spanish was better, I knew exactly what to say, and it was just a good feeling as we taught. When I taught him I said things I've never said before and things really do just flow out of your mouth with the spirit.
 
Other than that this week was good!! We committed a lot of people to baptism. One of which is a boy named Andres who is 16 and the only one in his family who hasn't been baptized (they were all baptized, 3 months ago.) He had a lot of doubts but he's great. He's always at the church with the youth and loves to be with us! We've taught him everything so we were running out of ideas. So we actually decided to take him (yes, an investigator) out to work with us. haha Well it worked! We ended the day teaching him about Jesus Christ, and he accepted to be baptized on the 14th!
 
Miracles are happening here everyday. I'm so proud to be a missionary during these exciting times of the work of salvation. I know the church is true. I know it has been restored through the Prophet Joseph Smith. I know the Book of Mormon and Bible are true testaments of Jesus Christ. I love my God and I love serving him. Until next time!
 
Love,
Elder Berrett
 
Rick:
That is so awesome about your first baptism. Congrats!! It sounds like you are really working hard. I am so proud of you and everything you are doing. Mom told us last night that you have been out for over 300 days now. So crazy, right??
 
It's so good to know that things are starting to come a little easier for you now. You are correct, it's the Spirit working with you and through you. Make sure you are always living in a manner that the Spirit can help. He will if you let it.
 
Are you enjoying the new area now? How about the new bario? You weren't too sure about it before you left to come home. Is it getting better. Do you live with two other missionaries or all they just in the same ward?
 
Kyler:
It's a good ward. They are all willing to help so that's good! The area is good too! I'm excited about it! We actually had transfers last night but nothing changed for us! It's just us, no others in my house!
 
Dad:
Okay - good! Just so you know, when I get done with school in a few weeks, I will turn my attention to applying for you. I will have a little more time then, so I'll start working on it.

I am reading about Alma the younger and the Sons of Mosiah. I am reminded how readily the Lord is willing to forgive us. Alma and the sons of Mosiah were wicked men and caused a great deal of pain within the church as they went around trying to destroy it. Of course, they had an angel appear to them which turned their lives around. We might not get angels to appear to us but we still have the same opportunity to repent and turn our lives around. It's never too late! I love reading the Book of Mormon. There are so many awesome examples to live by. Have you read the Book of Mormon in Spanish all the way through yet?
 
Kyler:
Ahh I love that story. And no not yet! I'm doing it right now!
 
And thank you! Yeah when you finish that's fine!!
 
Dad:
How much more time do you have?
 
Kyler:
Not much at all, like 15 minutes.
 
Dad:
Just know how much I love you and praying for (ALWAYS!!). I've got to go. It looks like mom is busy and can't get on this week. Keep up the good work!! Can't wait to hear more next week.
Love you - Dad
 
Kyler:
Alrighty sounds good!! I love you too! Tell everyone I love them!
 

A peacock

A turtle

Came across these turkeys on Thanksgiving actually, so I had to take a picture! haha

Cooking for my pensionista's birthday

Baptism!
The elder in white was just in the picture. He had his own baptism.  I just don't want y'all to think we have a gringo member in our ward! haha

Just a cool view

No comments:

Post a Comment